Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sticky Sweet & Spicy Shrimp

It's Spring, right? And Spring brings with it the need for some Spring cleaning! And well, my Spring cleaning extended also to my freezer.

No.  I do not have "vintage foods" in my freezer.  

But you know how sometimes you have those one or two food items that you don't know quite how to use?  Some weeks ago I had bought a bag of frozen shelled shrimp.  And I was pretty sure I would put it to good use really quickly.  But being in my bottom freezer drawer the poor bag of shrimp went completely out my mind. 


So the other day, I was doing some "fridge/freezer-Spring-cleaning" and the shrimps came out.  And stayed out.  I decided to defrost them and use them, there and then.  Otherwise, back in they would go.  And most probably the next time they would come out they'd end up in the bin!


And that wouldn't be right, would it?


So, anyways!  I decided to whip up one of those dishes that makes use of anything you got at hand.  I looked for some inspiration cause I knew that I wanted to make something sweet and maybe a bit spicy.  I came across this recipe.  And then of course I adapted it to make do with the ingredients I actually had.


This dish is very easy to prepare and you can play around with the amounts of the ingredients that go in the marinade so that the end result is spicier, sweeter or maybe less spicy and less sweet :) 







Here goes!


My sticky, sweet and spicy shrimp dish...


You will need:


500g of shelled frozen shrimp (you can have fresh shrimp, or even prawns with their shell still on... I happened to have some frozen prawns - threw those in too!)
1/2  cup agave syrup (you can easily exchange this for honey)
a good pinch of all of these: ginger powder, garlic powder & cayenne pepper
a nice little bunch of parsley (reserve some for the cooking part)
4 small spring onions, - chopped up (reserve 2 for the cooking part)
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning




Start off by defrosting your shrimp if you're using the frozen kind.  I ran some water on them and kept removing the water that comes out of them.  Then, in a bowl, place your shrimp and basically add all the ingredients, except for olive oil, salt and pepper.  Also don't forget to reserve some parsley and 2 of the spring onions.


Allow the shrimps to sit in your marinade for as long as you can afford really.  I let mine sit in it for around 2 hours in the fridge.  Don't worry if you notice that water is still coming out from the shrimp.  Just mix it all around half-way through your marinade time.


Add enough olive oil to lightly coat a non-stick pan.  I removed any excess oil with a kitchen wipe as I didn't really want to end up frying my shrimp.  Warm up your pan.  Then, using a slotted spoon, start transferring your shrimp.  Make sure you have a well heated pan for this step so that the shrimp starts to cook quickly.  Add some freshly chopped parsley and and the rest of the spring onion and cook over a high flame.  Cooking time depends on the amount of shrimp you're cooking but in my case 15 minutes were enough.  Turn the shrimp around, especially when you start to notice that the natural sugars from the agave syrup are starting to caramelize.  Add some freshly ground pepper and some salt, and give it all good turn around.




If like me you're not going to serve it straight away, then transfer your cooked shrimp to a container so that it stops cooking.


Serve with anything you fancy really, maybe basmati rice, quinoa, or noodles even!


& ENjoY!

No comments:

Post a Comment